Haven’t got our Food issue yet? You can now get it on our Etsy!
Category Archives: Issue 9
Download Issue 9′s Mixtape!
With each issue, Static Zine puts out a free mixtape download.
Here’s the latest, yummy ear worms curated by Aviva.
<<DOWNLOAD THE NINTH ISSUE MIXTAPE – FOOD>>
1. Dead Shrimp Blues – Robert Johnson
2. The Original Jelly Roll Blues – JollyRoll Morton
3. Spoonful – Etta James
4. Tater Pie – Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
5. Salt Creek – Bill Monroe
6. Feed Me, Jesus – Sister Rosetta Tharpe
7. Trombone Butter – Dinah Washington
8. Jambalaya – Hank Williams
9. Hold Tight: Want Some Seafood Mama – The Andrews Sisters
10. Hot Burrito #2 – Flying Burrito Brothers
11. I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl - Nina Simone
12. Potato Head Blues – Louis Armstrong
13. Salt Peanuts – Dizzy Gillespie
14. You’re Not The Only Oyster In The Stew – Fats Waller
15. Tacos, Enchiladas And Beans – Doris Day
Issue 9 Release Party!
Come celebrate the release of our 9th issue, FOOD!
There will be loads of food to snack on & we’ll be joined by DJ Doris Day All Night, who really knows how to weave ’90s R&B and 2000′s pop together to get us dancing.
Static Zine #9 is free!
Party starts at 7 pm!
Thank you Fat Girl Food Squad for helping to organize this event.
Call for pitches to Issue 9: FOOD
YUM! Static Zine’s 9th issue is all about food!
It’s actually SUPER surprising we have not done a food issue yet, what with the Static editors being expert eaters. But when it was one of the suggestions in the voting round for Issue 8 and it didn’t win, well, that was super surprising too. (But we now have the most wonderful mental health issue to show for it!) So it was unanimous for us to agree that Issue 9 would be all about food.
And we can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with.
What we’re looking for: Right now, all you have to do is submit what you’d like to make a page about in our zine regarding food. An idea for something serious, witty, opinionated, you name it. There’s pretty much a whole field of corn out there, waiting for you to pick just one. You can come at the idea through any kind of word or art interpretation. Anything that works, printed on a sheet of paper. Common uses in our zine include personal stories, fiction, illustration, photo collages, game designs, comics, doodles, etc. Feel free to combine!
What to do right now: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org explaining what you would like to make a page on and how you plan to do it. We will get back to you *after* the deadline to discuss it.
Deadline: Monday, January 20. Submissions will then be due by Monday, February 24 *at the absolute latest*. We have a low tolerance for late submissions, and it takes us time to put everything together. This issue is on a strict deadline in order to be ready for Chicago Zine Fest on March 15, so please take this seriously.
Other important information:
- “One zine page” = 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
- Your page must be vertical.
- If you would like to make it on your own:
*Send us a photoshop or jpeg file. Resolution 600.
*You can drop off a physical copy at our HQ in Toronto, but please make sure you keep your work a few centimetres from the borders of the paper, so nothing gets cut off.
- We print in black and white.
- If you are including photos, try not to keep them too contrasty, as they don’t photocopy as well.
- Please take a look at our previous issues to see our style.
Thank you & we can’t wait to see your ideas! This will be a very important issue and we’re excited to share on this topic.
Static editors Jessica, Melody & Aviva